An affinity diagram is used to organize a large amount of language data into groupings based on natural relationships between each item. It is created with the following steps:
- Record on cards or "post-its"
- Develop data dictionary of needs.
- Eliminate obvious redundancy & re-state.
- Spread on table or wall.
- As a team, look for two items that seem related in some way and move cards together. Continue to organize cards into groupings that are related.
- Select card or create statement that captures the meaning of the grouping.
- Eliminate redundancy & re-state