- reduce uncertainty and hence the potential for delay and conflict;
- raise awareness of any regional planning requirements and hence consideration of any proposed development in a broader context;
- provide support for developing and interpreting the performance approach in the Design Elements;
- give local authorities the means to determine a range of Acceptable Solutions before applications are made;
- provide an opportunity for addressing community concerns about development before applications are made;
- defines roles and responsibilities;
- provides opportunities for establishing clear procedures for particular requirements, such as information to be supplied and the contribution required towards infrastructure provision.