Animal Control -> Animal Management
Animal Management in the local government context covers a range of activities, including:
- the impoundment of stray animals and animal pound operation;
- pet registration & microchipping;
- setting limits on the number and types of animals that can be kept on a range of property types;
- eradication of vermin.
Most if not all Councils provide Animal Management services.
Division 4 of the Victorian Domestic Animals Act 1994 defines the powers and duties of Councils with respect to the control of dogs and cats.
Section 42 of the Act gives Councils the power to make local laws for or with respect to all or any of the following:
- regulating the number of dogs or cats which may be kept on premises situated in the municipal district of the Council;
- prohibiting or regulating the keeping of dogs or cats in a specified area of the municipal district of the Council where threatened native fauna are at risk of attack;
- requiring owners of dogs to remove and dispose of faeces deposited by their dogs in public places.
Section 43 gives an authorised officer of Council the Power to destroy animals at large in specified areas.
- If Council has made a local law prohibiting the keeping of dogs or cats in a specified area of the municipal district of the Council, an authorised officer may destroy any prohibited animal found at large in that area.
Section 44 gives Councils the power to require restraint of animals.
- (1) If a Council has made a local law prohibiting the keeping of any dog or cat in a specified area of the municipal district of the Council, the Council may require the owner of any dog or cat kept in that area immediately before the law is made—
- (a) to confine the animal indoors or in a totally enclosed pen on the owner's premises; and
- (b) when the animal is outside the owner's premises, to confine the animal to an enclosed vehicle.
- (2) The Council must give the owner notice in writing of this requirement.
- Animal Pound
- Council Functions and Services
- Domestic Animal Management Plan
- Local Government Services & Activities
- Victorian Domestic Animals Act 1994
- Victorian Impounding of Livestock Act 1994