Asset data collection, is the process of collecting physical asset data.
Asset data can be collected at the time an asset is created or at any other time in its life-cycle.
Asset data may be initially recorded;
- manually onto a paper form.
- manually via a smart pen onto a microdot paper form.
- manually into a laptop, tablet, smart phone, PDA, etc.
- automatically via a sensor, camera or other apparatus into a digital storage device.
- manually via office-based asset capture using 3D Street Level Imagery (earthmine)
Automatic Data Capture
Automatic & semi-automatic data capture is potentially easier and cheaper than methods requiring human intervention.
Examples of automatic data capture, include;
- vehicle mounted cameras (3D street level imagery (earthmine))
- vehicle mounted cameras (The Google Street View Cars for example)
- vehicle mounted laser profilers