Health Standards Enforcement is the enforcement of legislated health standards.
Councils are typically responsible for enforcing a number health standards, including:
- The inspection of food premises to ensure that the food served is safe for consumption;
- The monitoring of; hairdressers, body piercers, accupuncturists, commercial swimming pools and spas to ensure they are hygenic.
- The inspection of Septic systems to ensure they have the capability to safely handle the appropriate capacity.
In Victoria Section 24(d) of the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 states that "developing and enforcing up-to-date public health standards and intervening if the health of people within the municipal district is affected" is a Council function;
- Council Functions and Services
- Council Service Hierarchy
- Victorian Local Government Services Rationale
- Victorian Local Government Legislative Framework
- Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008