A Register of Public Roads is a document containing information about a Councils public road network, available for perusal by the public.
The Victorian Road Management Act specifies that a register of public roads should contain the following information:
- the name of each public road or, if unnamed, an identifiable description;
- the classification of the public road in accordance with road hierarchy classification outlined in section 3;
- if a road becomes a public road after 1 July 2004, the date on which the road became a public road;
- if a public road ceases to be a public road, the date on which the road ceased to be a public road;
- further description, such as road segments details, where Council considers appropriate;
- any ancillary areas designated under Section 18 of the Act, areas such as a scenic lookout, rest stop and indented car park.