A Temporary Road Closure is the temporary restriction of vehicular access to a road.
Roads may be closed temporarily for a number of reasons, including;
Many Councils have Temporary Road Closure Policies.
Victorian Local Government Act 1989
- (1) A Council may block or restrict the passage or access of vehicles on a road by placing and maintaining any temporary barrier or other obstruction on the road—
- (a) for as long as is necessary to prevent any injury to any person or damage to any property (including damage to the road itself); or
- (b) for as long as is necessary for a procession, public ceremony or function; or
- (c) for a genuine traffic diversion experiment.
- (2) A Council must not exercise the power given to it under subclause (1)(c) unless it has considered a report from the Roads Corporation concerning the exercise of the power.
- (3) This clause does not apply to a freeway or an arterial road within the meaning of the Road Management Act 2004 , unless the Council has the consent of the Roads Corporation.